Earlier I had posted about people living/squatting in the building across the way.
I figured out what is going on. Its standard practice that while a building is being constructed, the masonry team/families are allowed to stay in the building until it's completed. That is what is happening. I see lots of progress on the building and now it makes sense.
We had dinner at one of the client's manager's homes on Saturday. He was living in an apartment (flat as they are called here), and was building up the street. We walked down there, and on the way there was a small thatch hut structure with 3-4 people in it watching tv. Sarguna (the client) said they were the builders. He borrowed a flashlight from them (it was dark) and we went to the house.
The house was just a brick shell, not much completed. I was the first one in and got a little surprise. In the main room were two guys sitting on the floor. They didn't act surprised or anything, and Sarguna came in next and walked right by them. It wasn't until later he explained the common practice of the workers staying in the house while it's being constructed.
Here you can see the progress on the roof and see how all the materials are transported, hence the slow going. This really puts the manual in the term manual labor.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.