Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Arrival

I got in last night around 10 pm local time (IST).  The flight was good, not quite as nice as the plane from LA to Singapore, but very similar service and amenities.  The seats were bigger and nicer on the first one.

What a difference already.  Long lines in the immigration check ins, luckily I got there before another fight got in, as the lines got really long after I walked up.

The baggage claim went well, but after that we had to hand something to a security officer on the way out. I was not sure what he needed (it wasn't passports or anything).  He looked at my luggage and saw a chalk mark on one of them and immediately asked what I had in it.  I told him clothes and maybe some speakers for my computer.

He took me to an x-ray machine and looked at my bag and said it was speakers and I was ok to go.

When I exited the terminal, immediately I felt the humidity.  I thought Singapore was bad, this was worse.  There were hundreds of people blocked off by barricades waiting for their families/friends, so it was very different.  Luckily I found Mat (co-worker picking me up with the driver) waiving at me, and we were off.

Right away you notice chaos in the driving.  We waited while the driver pulled up, and it was crazy, constant honking and squeezing in by everyone.  We loaded up and were off.

I was not aware you could fit 3 grown men on a scooter, but apparently that is possible.  You see all kinds of people walking across the highway, cars cutting in, constant honking... a few cows sleeping in the highway, along with bad patches where the driver had to slow down and avoid dips and potholes.  Very very different from Singapore and the US.

It was dark so I couldn't see too much of the surroundings, but it pretty much looked like how I expected to.  Looking forward to daylight and taking pictures soon.

I will be going into the office today.  I only got a couple hours of sleep due to the late arrival and unpacking/settling in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.